NOTICE: This class is for HCAC Artist Members ONLY who want to learn how to design quilt blocks for The Quilt Trail of WNC Program.
Class Instructor: Susan Dawkins
Class Title: Creative Barn Quilts: From Concept to Full-scale Template
Class Objectives: To teach HCAC Artist Members how to design barn quilt blocks for the Quilt Trails program.
Class Description: Participants will receive links to the Zoom sessions, the class outline below with space for notes, a handy “quick-reference” sheet, and Susan’s email for follow-up questions they may have after the class.
Day One: Design
- Brief history of the Quilt Trails as established by its founders and how Quilt Trails volunteers continue this work
- What a barn quilt is and isn’t
- Examples of traditional and non-traditional quilt blocks on the Quilt Trails Understanding patchwork geometry
- Having fun with traditional patterns
- Finding inspiration for unique patterns
- Design resources in print and on the web
- General Q&A
- For potential Quilt Trails designers: Quilt Trails process overview (from client request to painted block)
- For potential Quilt Trails designers: Quilt Trails design parameters, including simplicity, and color, shape, and curve limitations
- Designer Q&A
Day Two: Template Creation Demo
- The painting process and how the painters use the template
- Setting the template canvas size, resolution, line width, and grid size
- Importing the design mockup and setting the opacity
- Working on a new layer
- Making separate shapes
- Checking for accuracy
- Creating a color legend and labeling shapes by color
- Tiling large designs
- Sending the template to print
Duration: Two Hours per Day
Time & Date: This is a Two Day Class.
- Day One: 1 pm on Saturday, March 12, 2022
- Day Two: 1 pm on Saturday, March 19, 2022
Class Location: Via Zoom
Class Cost: $25