Young Audience Series
The Haywood County Arts Council is proud to co-sponsor The Masque of the Red Death” with the Town of Canton.
The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe: April 16-17, 2019
- April 16: 1:00 p.m. performance for 8th graders at the HART Theatre in Waynesville (255 seats)
- April 17: 1:00 p.m. performance for 8th graders at the Colonial Theatre in Canton (300 seats)
- Both performances will last approximately 45 minutes + 15 minutes for a question/answer session
- Two string faculty from NC School of the Arts & their star harpist will be playing Andre Caplet’s “La Masque de la Mort Rouge – conte fantastique” composed in 1909. French conductor & composer.
- The narrator, also from the NC School of the Arts, will be reading Edgar Allen Poe’s short story “The Masque of the Red Death”, written in 1845. American.
- An Educator Information Packet provided by the Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia will provide a lesson plan “Unmasking the truth behind the Red Death” designed for 9th grade students and also one for 10th grade students that local faculty can use at their discretion.
- A brief BBC biography of Andre Caplet will also be provided.
- Transportation between the schools and the theaters is funded by the Haywood County Schools Foundation.